Tuesday, July 29, 2008

fight or flight!

Incase you haven’t ever truly experience fight or flight. I got my first taste of it this weekend. My boyfriend and I were hiking along the Rogue River in Oregon this weekend. It was getting near sunset and after about 8 miles, we only had 3 more miles to go before we got back to our car. I looked to my right because I heard a noise. I instantly made eye contact with a black bear about 40 feet away. “BEAR!” That’s all I could get out. My heart started pounding. Now normally, you are suppose to make lots of noise and look big, because black bear are skittish and they scare easily. However, this bear had a cub in a tree next to her. She stood up on her hind legs to stand her ground. My boyfriend grabbed my hand and said quietly “After this tree…..run.”

Oh…we ran alright. I have never run so fast in my life. We finished those last 3 miles in record time

We are crazy to think we could out run a bear. But at the time, it seemed like the best idea.