Sunday, January 31, 2010

The past few days and those to come...

My stepson got his drivers' permit the other day which has strangely changed the dynamic in the house. He has become oddly obliging and eager to please. This really comes at no surprise, since most teenagers (or adults, for that matter) will turn on the charm whenever they want something. So what does he want? He wants to practice driving and he needs my husband to do that. My husband has decided to be the instructor...giving on this right of passage onto his son. I think it's a great idea and something that Jace will remember the rest of his life. There are lots of schools of thought regarding parenting new drivers. Our primary goal is practice time before he's out there on his own. We are hoping that by the time he takes the drivers' test (a year from now), he will be a MUCH more advanced driver than those other teens who have all of 11 minutes of practice. Also, this will buy him some time to save for his own car and his own insurance.

All we have to do in the meantime is tolerate the incessant nagging of..."Can I go drive now?....what about now?....and now?"

1 comment:

Carol Bell said...

My Dad (Jace's great-grandpa) taught me to drive and did a good job. He was very patient. One thing he forgot to do was have me drive at night. Got my license the first Sat. after I turned 16, borrowed the family car ('49 Chev) and realized I was very nervous to drive at night with no practice. Good luck, you three.
Carol