Monday, January 17, 2011

January entry of StepMothers Milk: Kind of annoyed

I have a few close friends my age that married older men with children. Some of their stepkids are young, under 6, and some are older teenagers, like mine. So this is a shout to them...Courtney, Anne, Jenn, and Sheri. The job of stepmommy is not an easy one. I never know where I stand, I rarely get to call the shots, and I am third in line for any relaxation on the sofa. This chapter of stepmommy finds me alone with my stepson for several days while my husband is off getting some "him-time". I like to call it my "annoy-time". I suppose I am one of the lucky ones who has a stepchild who likes me. He wants to stay home with me, follow me around the house, and talk to me for hours about car exhausts, cat behavior, and Family Guy interpretations. He's a curious guy with lots of questions about ...well just about everything. Today, he wanted to know what was worse than a felony and then wanted to know the definition of "irony". What tha?! At one point today, he sat on the couch and watched me paint trim. "Izzy, you better do a good job at that." "Izzy, you are leaving parts of the wood exposed." "Izzy, do you even know what you are doing?"....and that went on and on. (insert internal screaming and hair pulling).
Ok. I am done venting. This is very good training for an infant one day. I am sure I will look back one day and think about how nice it was to have an engaged teenager in our house.

No comments: