Wednesday, August 15, 2012

I QUIT

....my job, that is. Did I get your attention? I have been unemployed for 2 1/2 months now and it's been so surreal. First of all, I didn't think I would really do it. But now, the life I once had of working and travelling seems so far away. I have spent the last 12 years of my life working for the same company. And before that, I have had a handful of random jobs since I was 14 years old. I always regret not taking time off after college. I officially proclaim that this is MY time. YES INDEED!! I have some friends who are on the fence about working or staying home to raise their children. If had any part in their decision, I would vote hands-down "No work". When I looked at the expense of daycare and time away from home, whether I was travelling or just doing a 9-5 gig, it made NO sense to work. I would barely break even financially. But furthermore, I would lose a much more valuable aspect......time watching my baby grow and thrive. Not to mention the benefit for her to be with her family and friends during the most critical years. And later down the road, if I am feeling an urge for some adult interaction, a loss of self, or just plain boredom, then it will be time to pick up something a few hours a week. What a great excuse to volunteer or take a class, right? I have attached an old photo of my former life....traveling the world as a corporate field trainer and now as a mom who has travelled all over the world and found her place here.
 

No comments: