Saturday, March 5, 2011

I don't bake

If you know me, then you know that I can cook a wicked meal. I love cooking gourmet food with lots of fresh healthy ingrediants. I rarely use recipes, because I have a decent sense of what flavors work well together. Cooking lets me totally let go of control and just go with my instincts. What I can't do is bake. There is too much exact science to it! You have to use measuring cups, and tools, and specific spoon sizes. However...every once in awhile, I have a hankering for something sweet and I don't feel like going to the store....THIS is my go-to recipe.

My Vegan Chocolate Cake (or cupcakes, if I feel like it). I like my chocolate vegan, because I think chocolate tastes better without all that animal fat. Besides, who wants to lick the bowl when it's all raw eggs and butter? yuck. I have done this recipe with organic products, but the difference in price doesn't seem to satisfy any mental blockage I have about eating cake in the afternoon.

1 1/4 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup warm water
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp distilled white vinegar


I mix all the dry stuff together, then add the wet stuff. Put it in an 8x8 glass pan, Cook it at 350 for 30min and that's it! The creative part is my frosting. Sometimes it's just powdered sugar, sometimes it's nothing, but today is was PB frosting. I don't have a recipe for it, though. I just start mixing PB, powdered sugar, vanilla, and soy milk together until I get something yummy and spreadable. The cake in the oven right now...I'll take a pic when it's all finished.


OK...here it is...or was. Between me, teenagers, and a husband, it didn't last long. I'm no cake boss, but it was super yummy.

No comments: